8/26/2011

Make it easy to comment

Humans are lazy and there is nothing you can do about it. If you keep that fact in mind when designing your website or blog you will have higher chances of success. One point where people often forget about the widespread laziness is on the comment system.

Every single time that I was asked to do something other than leaving my name and email in order to post a comment I just skipped the idea of commenting altogether. I admit that sometimes I try to read those fuzzy letters of CAPTCHA filters, but only when I am REALLY eager to leave the comment.

Comment moderation is another interesting thing. Many people use comment moderation to be secure about the comments that will appear on the site. In my opinion comment moderation do more harm than good, though. Firstly because when I post a comment I want to see it on the site straight away. Second because if I read that my comment was held to be approved I will get the idea that you are suspecting of my good faith when commenting. Once you have a spam filter plugin on your blog there is no reason to moderate comments, the worst that can happen is that you will need to delete a couple of stupid comments once in a while.

Summary of what should be avoided on the comment system:

*CAPTCHA filters

**if you like CAPTCHA filters make sure those letters are READABLE

***comment moderation

****wordpress login (i.e. â€Å“You need to be logged to leave a comment”)

*****email confirmation

******anything else that add more steps to the commenting process

0 comments:

Post a Comment

free counters

Submit ExpressSEO Services & Tools